Thursday, November 29, 2007

Reflection

feedback time

hmm...
I wonder where to begin...

My maiden trip overseas actually. Was on the return trip talking to a stranger, discovered that the last time my passport was stamped was in the year 2002. :D
:D
Yah, I'm really not a traveler.
I wonder, comparing the distance from Singapore, is Batam further or Malacca is further?

anyway, I'm really thankful that I brought a book along,
cos the pace over there is very different from Singapore...
I arrived at 8.50am Batam time
The driver picked me up at 10.20am...

It really funny how conversations goes
And Yes! Its really horrible that I didnt know how to speak Bahasa Indonesia and they have really limited knowledge of the English language.

on arrival I waited, instruction was given that there'll be someone waiting for me on arrival,

So I look around, waited and waited, walked in and out.
after sometime, I decided to sms the agent in Singapore who replied promptly.

Then I saw a man coming in, with proper uniform carrying a laminated piece of paper. Wasnt exactly showing it off, I tried to look look see see. On it says "Batam Holiday"
Oh the joy and excitment!
anyway, ya.

Was just waiting, Is he gonna flash a piece of paper that says my name?
Abit hesitant to approach...

then he walked away... O_O
kind of like circulating the mall and he disappeared.

Then finally I saw his face again. Decided to approach him.
so I said
" Batam Holidays?" "Mercure Hotel?" "Ms Ng?"
Then he said "yah yah"
Oh, the relieve and comfort! Hallelujah, thank You Jesus.
:D

so we began to approach the exit, with people staring.
:D
I was super dressed down actually. as though in my PJs, with the kneel length shorts, clean cut round neck t-shirt.
Actually thats the point of it, cos its first time in Indonesia and being alone, better play it safe.
need not mention i was in my flip flop slipper.

"sorry ar, no info la.."

Got on the car and I msged the agent again.
his sms just nice came in, so didnt get to read.
Then the driver switched on the engine, I was happily closing the door.
The message said something about someone coming with a laminated sign, maroon uniform.
Immedialty I panic!
and I Opened the door.
(you must be wondering why right)

Cos the driver was in BLACK uniform!
*stress*

:D So I asked again,

"wait ar! Mercure Hotel right?"
then he said
"Yah Yah, Batam Holiday" grabbing the laminated sheet showing me.

Then I said, "The person say clothes red color one!" while pointing to my handphone and then to his clothes.

Then he answer "Oh Oh! Red color Floor Manager, me bellboy bellboy" "safe safe".

So off we go.
The bellboy's name was Boy :D

Hahaha! anyway
I told my colleague about it, she said the incident is very funny. Didnt actually think of it that way.

HAha, so I was whisk away to the Hotel on a Honda.

Check in, got into my room. *pheW*
Language barrier...
English is really one piece one piece one. (chinese call ji te ji te)
Nouns are very important.

Started reading the book in the room,
Took a nap till 2.45pm (as instructed) and went down to the lobby to wait. Miracle Spa appointment at 3pm. The people from the spa side will come and pick me up.

3.10pm and they are not here yet... Decided to go back up and get my book.
So I claim my room key, got into the lift and press level 3.
The lift moved, up a little, and then suddenly down a little. Made a little noise.
Lo and Behold...
It stopped.

Goodness Gracious Me!
Thank God the Lights were on.
The panel says B1.

I pressed Door Open, nothing happened.
B1 (Button light came on, Button light came off)
Level 3 (Button light came on, Button light came off). *lost for words*
Level 8 (Button light came on, Button light came off) Okie, thats it... I know I am stuck.

I pressed the Emergency Call button. *Toot* was the reply.
no sound... no one speaking! *I was ready to cry*
and again, a series of button.

I squated down... dont know what to do.
Did I say I was ready to cry?
Cos I did tear.

Thank God the lift car was at B1. I could hear the sound of the lift car next door. *ding dong*
I could hear people speaking.
I knocked on the door.
someone responded in bahasa indonesia
I dont know what to say.
(well then again what else to say but the golden word)
HELPPpPpPppPppPppPPpppPpp

:D

oki oki,
anyway, for the 2nd time in my life I called for help.
The first time was when I didnt know I have to and have not keyed in the grades for my PE classes and I'm out on exhibition, so got my Head of Department to settle it.
This was the second time.

So came more voices.

Then the panel that says B1 goes blank. think they shut down the lift...
Then finally it came back on again, and then dont know what happen and finally the lift door opened.
I saw two gentlemen standing outside.

I told them "Lift spoil" "stuck" and they told me "Yah"
and I said "dont go in". I dont know whether they understand or not, the feeling they gave me was they are aware and its not surprising.
they told me "Yah"
It feels like it so normal for a lift to be faulty and yet still being utilized.
Didnt bother to stand guard or whatever.
I just walked away... With the tears on my cheeks, I need to compose myself.

Then I approach the Receptionist.
"Lift Spoil" "I got stuck" and she replied "Yah"
Goodness...
So I walked away...
Maybe its really the norm for them.
After a while I went back to ask about the transport again.
I really want to get my book, So I asked for the door key and went up to my room. On the other lift that is.

Entered my room, got my book, msged the agent to ask about the transport. did not mention about the lift. Then I got a call from the reception saying that the transport and the people from the Miracle Spa has arrived.
Just nice, Agent replied, said they couldnt find me.
I replied about just left the lobby, received a call, and "by the way I got stuck in the lift. It was so traumatizing". Then left to go downstairs without the book.

So went back down, saw 2 new faces, they explained that there was problem with the car. Dont quite catch the exact problem, I just told them "You are here, I am here, its okie, lets just go" So we board the car and left.
Dont remember how the conversation went on the car. Initially I did not say anything about the lift.
Then finally it spilled out with some tears.
She too was surprised that the reply I got from the receptionist was "Yah".
:D

She decided to feedback to the Hotel's Marketing Manager. After several calls, she reached the Secretary, the Marketing Manager was in a meeting.

Arrived around 4pm, So had my back scrub, press press press press.
was suppose to do body scrub, facial, hair treatment, hand treatment, feet treatment all in one session.

Because of time constraint only did the body scrub.

Then got delivered back, saw a 7-11 alike convenience store near the hotel, but by then it was 7.30pm le, decided not to take the risk (sun set, poor lightings) since I dont have anything that I really needed.
Oh ya, that lift was shutdown. *pheW*

Then the next day went back for the remaining treatment.
as usual, I appeared pokka dot face after the facial. :D
Got to do mask on my own REGULARLY man. :D
but its a good thing, people see me also scared. :D no need to be afraid of robbery.

Anyway, one of the handle of my spectacle pop. :/
hmm...

settled it on my own.
I asked for thread, they delivered but didnt work out. Ask for superglue, they dont have it in-house.
They bought it back just when I was leaving. If only they had insisted on giving it to me.
It be great if they had offered to help send my spectacles to the optician while I wait in the Salon or go with them.
The extra mile.

so the driver sent me to the Ferry Terminal, there is a shopping mall right next to it.
So with the pokka dot face went over to shop.
the level i went to was kind of like the level 1 of causeway point.
Want to know what I buy? see entry below. :)

Wanted to get small items in bulk, but didnt get any.
hmm... got to go ikea le...

Anyone?

kk, thats about all for this super long entry.

Haha!
must go out travel again!

oh ya, coming back about the lift, I realize why people will squat down le. It just feels a little bit more secure I think. :)
I'm so silly, should have focuse on God, or what I would do after that rather than think and focused on being stuck and cry. :/

Must learn to treasure Singapore's lift.
The kids that jump jump jump in the lift... hmm...

kk
I still want to travel.

Fulfilled my intention of being away from Singapore.
I preferred sight seeing than all these massage massage spa spa ba.
:D

Yey!

Be Bless
Love,
Amanda

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You went alone!!!!!! What the .... goodness!!!!! Val Ng! And u din tell us!!! wait, or did you? O_o glad NOTHING happened, and thank goodness you're fine.

And the next time you go on a trip, please tell us! hahas. We should/have to go together one day!

Love you gal!

I think the lift incident must be the highlight for u. hahas. :/

- from your ever loving val.

p.s: dun think i forgot abt Christmas. But darlin Rayyan is so busy, he can't even tell me when he's free. - from his mouth. Not mine.

hmm.. shall go bug him now!

Loves! <3